Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dolla Dolla Bill Ya'll

As the Wutang clan put it, cash rules everything around me. Now, those who know me probably know the story of how I saved up a ridiculous sum of money throughout high school. Today I will tell you how I did it.
Contrary to popular belief, I am neither a drug dealer, nor a male prostitute. I am actually a sort of combination of the two. No, nto really, that was a lie to make myself seem more interesting. The real answer is Warhammer. What is Warhammer? Well, it is a ridiculously expensive tabletop minatures game where you build, paint , and fight with vast armies of soldiers either from a fantasy or sci fi (Warhammer 40k) setting. Now, you're probably wondering, "If they are so expensive, then how did you save up so much money?" Jesus Christ you ask a lot of questions. I am in the middle of explaining this to you, so stop interrupting me with your stupid questions. You see, by the time I entered high school, my Warhammer days had already begun to fade. Sure I still bought a platoon here and there, mostly because I enjoyed building and painting them. However, when I did play Wathammer, it taught me a valuable lesson: Money equals power.
In middle school I would have Warhammer battles against my friends quite frequently. Normally, battles are made fair by the official rules by assigning points values to each unit and setting a limit, however, we were rebels and did not use this point system, instead favoring a "field every availible unit you have" system. This made it fortuitous for me to simply buy more or better units than all of my friends. This is when I learned how to make and save money, by doing chores around the house, odd jobs, and saving all my money from birthdays and christmas. I stopped buying things that I didn't really need (ironic since I was saving up for the equivalent of plastic crack). The more money I had, the better stuff I could buy, and the more likely I was to win. I was a very competitive child. As we gradually began to have fewer and fewer battles (mostly because they became too onesided, what with the vast horde I had assembled) I stopped buying stuff, but continued to save, just in case we started up aghain or something. As a result, I made several thousand dollars by the time I graduated. All thanks to a silly little game.
Since then I have forgotten some of those frugal lessons I had learned, but these days my primary source of income (interest from lending those thousands of dollars to family members) is drying up, I must once again turn to the old ways of makign money, so that one day, I can afford to buy Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment